“How to keep yourself safe, from energy vampires”
“A energy vampire’s negative influences, will consumed your positive energy.”
Do you feel exhausted after being with certain people? That’s how energy vampires drain your spirit.
Energy vampires drain your spirit by depleting your positive energy, just like real vampires slurp blood. Energy vampires – such as drama queens – leave you feeling drained and listless, but these eleven ways to protect yourself from negative influences will help!
How Energy Vampires Drain Your Spirit
Energy vampires drain positive energy in many ways, such as:
- Intruding on your life, ignoring boundaries and privacy (energy vampires don’t think of you).
- Making big deals out of nothing. Energy vampires are often called “drama queens” because they can easily turn a broken nail into a Shakespearean tragedy.
- Complaining constantly about their partners, jobs, children, bad luck, and illnesses. Energy vampires like to vent.
- Criticizing your hair, appearance, job, children, partner, friends, and pets (energy vampires aren’t positive).
- Not taking “no” for an answer. Energy vampires don’t consider your needs.
- Being unrelentingly negative. Their negative energy is relentless, and energy vampires drain your positive energy by encouraging you to be negative, too.
- Blaming everyone else for their problems (energy vampires don’t take responsibility).
How Energy Vampires Drain Energy & Why You Feel Depressed After a Conversation
You know you’ve spent time with an energy vampire when you leave feeling depressed, exhausted, or sad. Energy vampires drain your positive energy for their own use. Energy vampires leave you feeling empty and sluggish – and to compensate or build positive energy you may eat, drink, shop, or sleep for hours afterwards.
Energy Vampires Need Your Positive Energy
Energy vampires come in all shapes and sizes: loud and aggressive, soft-spoken and shy, charming and seductive, pushy and overbearing. Energy vampires have energy leaks that they need to fill. It’s up to you to stop energy vampires from draining your positive energy. Often energy vampires don’t even realize they’re bleeding you dry. Energy vampires have often suffered some sort of crisis, whether in childhood or adulthood, and they’re compensating to get rid of their negative energy. Energy vampires may not be deliberately, maliciously stealing your positive energy — but they’re definitely not contributing to a fantastic relationship.
Energy Vampires may drain positive energy, but you can learn to stop them!
11 Ways to Protect Yourself From Energy Vampires:
- Define and guard your personal space from energy vampires.
- Refrain from attempting to rescue them or fix an energy vampire’s problems.
- Limit eye contact with energy vampires.
- Be honest about your needs (eg, “I need this time to work/read/relax/exercise.”)
- Practice walking away from energy vampires.; the more you do it, the easier it gets.
- Tell energy vampires you feel uncomfortable discussing particular people or circumstances.
- Stay calm and detached from energy vampires. Don’t let their negative energy consume you.
- Avoid being in close spaces with energy vampires (elevators, cars, etc). Negative energy is catching.
- Learn effective ways to end conversations with energy vampires (eg, I only have ten minutes to talk.”)
- Limit the amount of time you spend with energy vampires. The less time you’re together, the less positive energy you’ll lose.
- Stand up for yourself and your boundaries! Your time, positive energy, and resources are precious and should be closely guarded from energy vampires.
Adapted by, G Ross Clark